01 Nov Best Ways to Experience Poconos Fall Foliage
The Best Ways to Experience Fall in the Poconos
Here at Mountain Creek Riding Stable, we love the fall – it’s the best time to get outside and see the colors! Based on our experience, the ideal time to see peak Poconos fall foliage depends on the region you are going to. You can consult the Fall Foliage Forecast in the Pocono Mountains to make sure you aren’t going when the leaves are already off the trees! Here are our favorite ways to experience this beautiful season.
How to Explore Fall Foliage in the Pocono Mountains:
- Take a drive through the scenic byways
- Take a horseback trail ride with us at Mountain Creek Riding Stable
- Go biking on Lehigh Gorge Lower Trail
Take a Drive
Grab some snacks, get the perfect playlist ready, and put the key in the ignition! Driving is a great way to take in all that fall has to offer! We prefer the back roads as you can take your time and pull off to stop for pictures. Not sure where to go? We recommend:
- Route 940 from Mount Pocono to Blakeslee, then Route 115 to Wilkes-Barre.
- Route 903 from Fern Ridge to Jim Thorpe and Route 209 with views of the Lehigh Gorge.
The second of these options will lead you to Jim Thorpe, which is an adorable small town that caters to those looking to enjoy the splendor of NEPA (Northeastern Pennsylvania) in October or November.
Go Horseback Riding
If you’re looking for the most a way to connect with nature, horseback riding is for you! A horseback ride through the Poconos fall foliage is a relaxing way to enjoy all the splendor of this season. The two best locations are:
You can’t get any closer to the heart of the Poconos than our horse stables! Situated right at the bottom of the mountain outside Mt. Pocono, we offer public and private group horseback trail rides through the mountains. You’ll get to ride across a creek (yes, you ride through it) and up into the woods behind Paradise Stream Resort.
Take a Bike Ride
I know, you’re thinking “But I drove into the Poconos, I don’t want to drive around them.” If this describes you, then biking is a great option. A family activity that lets you get your exercise while feeling the crisp fall air on your face. We recommend the trails below as there are no cars on the routes.
- Lehigh Gorge Lower Trail. This trailhead starts in Jim Thorpe and is a 10-mile ride through the scenic Lehigh Gorge mentioned above.
- D&L Trail: White Haven to Mountain Top. The D&L Trail is a bit more extensive, this 15-mile trail will take you on the former railroad line up to the northern mountains outside of the Poconos.
Didn’t bring your bikes with you? Not a problem! Pocono Biking can cover all your needs and even send a guide out with you to make sure everything goes smoothly.
With all those options, come on out and enjoy nature in one of the most spectacular seasons of the year! We look forward to your visit and giving your family memories for a lifetime.